Reading Group Guide
1. Some of the main themes of the novel are betrayal, revenge, redemption, rebuilding. How would you say that each of these plays a role in the novel?
2. In the opening chapter, Grace explodes into anger. Do you feel she had a disproportionate response? Why do we enjoy reading about such spectacular acts of revenge? How would you have acted under the same circumstances?
3. Why do you think Ben acted so unfairly towards Grace? What do you think is the most unfair thing he did?
4. What are all the things you dislike about J’Aimee?
5. How are Wyatt’s and Grace’s marriages the same? How are they different? What do you think played a role in their attraction to one another?
6. What do you think were some of Callie’s more reprehensible actions? Is she a redeemable character?
7. Why do you think it was so important for Grace to renovate the little beach house? How did it parallel the renovation of Grace’s life?
8. Is Jungle Jerry’s a metaphor in the book? If so, for what and why?
9. At what moment did you dislike Paula the most? Did this ever change?
10. Out of Camryn, Suzanne, or Ashleigh, which character did you relate to the most? The least? And why?
11. Which character in the book is the most wronged?
12. Why do you think the Stackpoles of the world can get away with so much?
13. Which is more heinous:the theft of intellectual property (like Grace's blog) or the destruction of physical property?
14. In what ways is Nelson an unsung hero in the story? What about Rochelle?
15. If you could have five people (living or dead) at your own weekly “Ladies’ Night” who would they be? What would you serve and what would you talk about?
16. How do you think a group of friends can help in tough times? How does a group sometimes offer support in a way that one close friend can not?
17. Have you ever had an instance where someone you instantly disliked turned out to be a true friend?