Reading Group Guide
1. Doesn’t She Look Natural? is the first of three novels featuring Jennifer Graham and the Fairlawn Funeral Home. Where do you think the author will take Jennifer and her family in subsequent books?
2. What are some of the major themes of this novel? Does the author use any symbols to illustrate those themes?
3. At one point, Jennifer says: “Only a stupid dog would run away from a boy who loved him, and only a selfish animal would stay away while we were all worried sick about him.” Who do you think she is really talking about in this passage?
4. In the first sentence, Jennifer tells us that she’s developed a “crème brûlée” crust. How does this metaphor describe Jennifer as a person?
5. Is there anything in this story to which you can personally relate? Did you find yourself identifying with any of the characters?
6. What spiritual truth do you think the author meant to convey in this novel? Was that developed with the same care and attention as the characters and the plot?
7. Most of this story is told from Jennifer’s viewpoint. How would it have been different if Joella or Gerald had been telling the story?
8. How important is the setting to this novel? Would it have worked as well if it had been set in a metropolitan area?
9. How does this book compare to others you’ve read by Angela Hunt? Do you see any similar themes or character traits?
10. At several points in the novel, Jennifer mentions surrender. How does this theme apply to the story? How does it apply in your life?
11. Have you ever been called to sacrifice a cherished dream? How painful was the experience, and what convinced you to do it?