Reading Group Guide
1. The story begins with Charity’s ploy to get Mitch. How does this very first encounter set the tone for the rest of the story?
2. Mitch is very cautious where Charity is concerned. Do you think Mitch, in the beginning, is too guarded about Charity? How does this affect his feelings toward Charity?
3. Charity’s friendship with Emma is very close and special. The two have a close enough bond that allows them to help one another through some very difficult situations. Have you ever had a very close friend? How have they helped you through difficult situations?
4. Charity’s relationship with Rigan is based on jealousy and deceit. In the end, their relationship proves to be superficial and wrong. How does the foundation of their relationship affect it for the future? How did their relationship affect Mitch?
5. Charity’s schemes to get Mitch back are woven throughout the story. Each scheme; however, seems to end badly for Charity. Have you ever planned something and had it go all wrong? How did it go wrong? What did you do?
6. After bringing Charity back to Boston, Mitch agrees to marry Charity because of her supposed pregnancy. Charity then lies to her parents that the two are already married. Why do you think Charity lied? Do you think she would do it again if she knew the outcome? Have you ever told a lie that continued to get bigger? What did you do?
7. Charity also lied about her rape to get Mitch to marry her. After Faith finds out about the lie and confronts Charity, Charity agrees to tell Mitch the truth. However, she never tells Mitch herself. Why do you think she didn’t tell Mitch? If you were in the same situation, would you tell Mitch? Why or why not?
8. Brady and Charity form a very close friendship and Brady even leads Charity to the Lord. After Charity comes to Christ, how does her view of Mitch and their relationship change? What transformations do you see in Charity? Have you ever gone through a life changing event? What was it and how did it change you?
9. Forgiveness is an interwoven theme in this book. Mitch and Charity both must learn to forgive one another. Have you ever had to forgive someone? Was it hard to forgive that person? Why? Have you ever needed someone’s forgiveness? How did that affect you?
10. Charity learned the power of unconditional from God and from Mitch. Have you ever experienced an unconditional love? What was it like? Have you ever loved someone unconditionally? Was it hard? Why?