Reading Group Guide
1. What does the book’s title convey about the characters?
2. What issues did the characters struggle with that, if openly addressed, could have strengthened their character and their relationships with each other?
3. What themes resonated throughout the story?
4. Was Serena’s dislike of Bethany valid, or did it show her own weaknesses and insecurity? As a pastor’s wife, was it wrong for her to feel this way?
5. Was Serena’s guilt about being overwhelmed with motherhood and her desire to return to work valid? Can you relate?
6. Why was it hard for Tawana to open up to Serena, someone she knew loved her unconditionally?
7. How did the characters stifle one another’s growth? How did the characters help each other grow?
8. Did any of these characters use their faith as a crutch, to keep them from growing and developing as they could have?
9. Think about the process of becoming a pearl. Can you recall times in your own life where you grew through a situation that strengthened your character? Are there other areas of your life that are “pearls to be”?
10. What role does faith play in helping one become a pearl?
- Publication Date: October 1, 2007
- Paperback: 272 pages
- Publisher: Revell
- ISBN-10: 0800731689
- ISBN-13: 9780800731687