Reading Group Guide
1. Why do you think Joséphine reacts the way she does when Antoine leaves her? What are her coping strategies?
2. In the wake of her parents’ divorce and their new lifestyles, Hortense is not particularly nice to her mother. Do you think Hortense’s behavior ultimately helps or hurts Joséphine?
3. Iris and Joséphine are near opposites. What do these sisters secretly think of each other and what do they --- or could they --- learn from each other?
4. Love and money are intertwined throughout this book. From what you’ve seen of these characters, how can money buoy or damage a relationship?
5. How does Antoine’s experience in Africa change him? Do you think this change is a positive one, and why or why not?
6. History repeats itself in Iris and Joséphine’s family. What patterns do you notice running among the generations?
7. While this novel is clearly set in France, its themes are not unique to its setting. In what ways is the story culturally specific and in what ways is it universal?
8. Over time, all of the marriages in this book have soured. How might any or all of them be salvaged, or were they doomed from the beginning?
9. As the rift in their marriage widens, Iris and Philippe begin to suspect each other of dishonesty. Were you surprised by what the two learned about their suspicions?
10. How has Joséphine’s life been transformed by the experience of becoming an author? What do you imagine comes next for her?
The Yellow Eyes of Crocodiles
- Publication Date: December 31, 2013
- Genres: Fiction
- Paperback: 448 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books
- ISBN-10: 0143121553
- ISBN-13: 9780143121558