Reading Group Guide
1. The events of the first chapter change Priscilla’s life in ways she could never have imagined. How do you think you would have reacted if you’d been in Priscilla’s place? Would your faith in God have been shaken as hers was?
2. Priscilla’s locket is more than a piece of jewelry to her. Do you have any possessions that have special meaning for you? What would you do if they were stolen?
3. One of the themes of the book is the power of memories. Some haunt the characters; others bring comfort. Why do you believe that memories have such power?
4. In Chapter 4, Zach advises Priscilla to make peace with the past. Is that good advice? Do you think he’s found peace with his own past?
5. Though Gunther and Isabelle love each other, they’re separated by the town’s prejudices. Do you see any parallels in the world today?
6. Both Priscilla and Zach believe that their past experiences have made them unlovable. Is there anything you believe would make a person unworthy of love? What would change that?
7. Although he’s a minor character, Lawrence plays an important role in the book. How do you think his love for Priscilla affected both her and Zach? Would the story have been different if he hadn’t returned to Ladreville?
8. Why do you think the author chose the title Scattered Petals?
9. This book is part of a trilogy called Texas Dreams. In what ways do dreams play a role in the story?
10. Jean-Michel believes that he is smarter than everyone else, and that belief leads to many of his actions. What do you believe could have changed the path of his life?
11. Priscilla insists on accompanying Zach when he returns to Haven. If she hadn’t gone with him, do you think Margaret and Hank might have reacted differently? Why or why not?
12. Several times Zach feels called to do something. At what points in your life have you experienced a calling? Have you answered it?
13. Both Priscilla and Zach recognize that what has happened in their lives --- both good and bad --- is part of God’s plan. How do you see his plan reflected in your life? Have there been times when you struggled to see the plan?