Reading Group Guide
1. Sonnet’s mom, Nina, cautions her not to get so busy she forgets to fall in love. In light of what later befalls Nina, how does this advice resonate with Sonnet?
2. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done at a wedding? Does Sonnet’s impulsive act at Daisy’s wedding make sense, given where she is in her life? What would you have done in that situation?
3. Do you keep checklists? What’s the one thing on your life’s “to-do” list that you can never seem to accomplish, even though you intend to? What is blocking Sonnet from checking off “fall in love”?
4. How has Sonnet’s personal history formed her character? What keeps her from seeing Orlando for who he is until it’s almost too late?
5. In what ways does Sonnet thing Zach is all wrong for her? What makes him exactly right for her? What did it take for her to finally see that?
6. Jezebel is larger than life, but in what ways does she reveal herself to be all too human? What is it about her that draws both Sonnet and Zach? Did she help or hinder their relationship?
7. What’s your favorite reality TV show? If you could design a reality show of your own, what would it be like?
8. Has your mother ever gotten really sick? What was your emotional reaction? How did the experience cause you to grow and change? How did Nina’s illness cause Sonnet to change?
9. What do you suppose Sonnet’s relationship with her half-brother will be like, going forward?
10. At the end of the story, Sonnet’s relationship with her father has shifted. What’s your prediction for what it will be like in the future?
11. What will Sonnet and Zach’s first fight be about, do you suppose? And what tools do they have to survive it?