Reading Group Guide
1. What explains Adam March’s outrageous attack on Sophie?
2. Why do you think the author used the first person in telling Chance’s story?
3. There are two protagonists in this story. Are they equal? Are they believable?
4. What is Adam’s initial attitude toward the Chance?
5. How does that attitude reflect his attitude in general and the situation he’s in?
6. When Adam breaks down, what motivates Chance to approach him?
7. What does Chance think of his ‘career’ as a fighter?
8. Should Adam forgive his father?
9. What role does Gina play in Adam’s personal growth?
10. Describe Adam’s relationship with his daughter Ariel. How does his childhood impact this relationship, or does it?
11. Does Adam relate at all to the boys he encounters on the street? How so?
12. What are Adam’s three sins and does he overcome them?
13. In this story men are living on the streets as well as dogs. Are you more likely to support animal shelters or homeless shelters?
14. Conventional wisdom believes that fighting pit bulls cannot be rehabilitated. In many cities, a dog that has been known to fight is automatically put down. Do you think that a character like Chance is realistic? Does he change your mind about pit bulls?
15. In the end, has Adam been redeemed?
One Good Dog
- Publication Date: December 30, 2014
- Genres: Fiction
- Mass Market Paperback: 336 pages
- Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
- ISBN-10: 1250059798
- ISBN-13: 9781250059796