Reading Group Guide
1. What is your impression of Martha’s character at the beginning of the story?
2. Do you think Martha’s reasons for postponing marriage are reasonable/ Would you do the same thing in her place?
3. Do you think the factors in Martha’s life contribute to her “take charge” attitude?
4. Why was Martha so vulnerable to the Roman officer? What decision would you make if faced with the same offer?
5. Though not described, since we have no record of the description of Jesus, how does He appear to you? If you had to describe Him, what would you say?
6. Why do you feel Martha and Mary were so devastated and almost accusing when Jesus finally arrived, four days after their brother died? Why would they expect Him to come sooner?
7. When do you begin to suspect Nathan’s feelings for Martha? What changes does Martha see in him over the years?
8. Since Jesus, an Orthodox Jew in His day, would not be able to enter the house of someone afflicted with leprosy, it was necessary to have Simon healed. Why do you think they still called him Simon the Leper?
9. Discuss the different reactions of those present when Mary poured the ointment on Jesus. If you had been there and watched wheat Mary did, what would your reaction be?
10. With Mary and Thomas gone, and Lazarus running for his life, Martha was left alone. Can you recall a time in your life when you felt as Martha did?
11. Why do you think Nathan finally ignored etiquette and came to Martha himself?
12. What do you think the future held for Martha, Mary and Lazarus?