Reading Group Guide
1. Do you think Sylvester should have blamed Jesse for the loss of the championship game? Do you think the loss of that game haunted Jesse? If yes, how so?
2. Do you think Rosella’s parents should have placed so much pressure on her in order to make her the opposite of Bonita? How do you believe that affected her?
3. On pages 51-54 Dewayne has a conversations with Franklin regarding Rosella. In the conversation Franklin makes comments regarding Dewayne’s upbringing-was this a sign of snobbery? How do you think Dewayne handled the situation? Would you have handled it differently?
4. After going off to college, Dewayne and Sly lose touch with Jesse. Should they have kept better contact with Jesse? Do you think Jesse still blamed himself for the big game? Do you think Jesse felt trapped based on what was expected of him?
5. Rosella didn’t recognize Bonita at first, when Bonita asked for money from Rosella. Should Rosella have offered to get her help? Should Dewayne have given Bonita that money? What would you do in this situation?
6. Do you think Jake is at fault for Jesse’s death? Do you think Jesse’s death was a suicide? Why or why not? Do you think there was any significance to the fact that Dewayne’s best game night was the same night as Jesse’s death?
7. Why do you think Dewayne negotiated his football contract for such a small amount? Do you think it was a scheme to make the older players feel indebted to him?
8. Do you think Bruce’s attempt to get rid of Tyler was warranted? Should Rosella and Dewayne have taken the children sooner? Do you think Franklin and Joella should have made more of an attempt to help Bonita?
9. After Dewayne was accused of murdering his family, Cherie had a heart attack. Do you think she died believing her son to be a murderer? Why or why not?
10. After the murder of his family, Dewayne is immediately the only suspect. His family and friends turn against him --- except Jake. What was your reaction to Jake showing up at the hospital to help Dewayne? Do you think Rosella should have turned her back on Dewayne? Would you have?
11. After the surgery, Dewayne makes a drastic recovery and returns to the NFL. What do you think it took for him to make it back?
12. How do you think this story compared to the biblical Job? Do you think race was a factor? Who do you feel were the major characters, and what were their contributions to the story?