Reading Group Guide
1. A number of these stories deal with mother-daugther relationships. What are some of the very different kind of mother-daughter bonds that occur in various stories (both positive and negative)? What different themes are explored in these relationships?
2. One theme of these tales is the deliberate destruction of the past, on a personal level and a cultural level. How does this annihilation of the past affect specific characters in the present? What do these stories suggest about what is happening in the world?
3. Why do you think the story "Homeland" might have been chosen to be the title story in this collection? Would you have chosen a different one, on the basis of its strength or theme that unifies the collection?
Homeland and Other Stories
- Publication Date: April 13, 1990
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Harper Perennial
- ISBN-10: 0060917016
- ISBN-13: 9780060917012