Reading Group Guide
1. Theresa Hopson is described in the book as a black woman who has it all. She is saved, loves the Lord, is well educated, owns a lovely home, is blessed with family and friends, and is the sole proprietor of a thriving business she built from the ground up. Yet Miss Lady is not happy --- not really. What is the source of Theresa’s hidden unhappiness, and what does faith in God have to do with addressing her dilemma?
2. Lamont Green has it all --- or so he thinks. Unlike Theresa, Mr. Man is very happy and is actually content with his life. Even his desire to win that contract to rebuild his old community, Cashmere Estates, doesn’t make him unhappy, even though there are times when the problem weighs heavily on his heart. What do you think about someone like Lamont, who allegedly has everything but Jesus, and doesn’t have a clue that is what he needs for things to work out?
3. Why are the characters Baby Doll Henderson and Mr. Lacy important to what happens to the main characters in the story?
4. When the Saints encounter people like Parvell Sykes and Jethro Winters, what do they learn from these troublemaking blessing blockers?
5. Ephesians 6:12 states: “For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms”(New Life Bible.How did this scripture play out in the lives of the characters in the book? And who represented those “mighty powers of darkness who rule this world”?
6. Queen Esther Green is a no-nonsense, bible-toting, oilcarrying, and scripture-speaking kind of woman. The “folk” in Holy Ghost Corner look to her for a Word from the Lord and Holy Ghost–inspired guidance.Why do they need her? And why do we need the Queen Esther Greens of the world in our lives?
7. Look up Romans 8:31 in your Bible, where it states, “What can we say about such wonderful things? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?” (NLB How did you see this scripture come to life in the lives of the characters?
8. What made Cashmere Estates such a wonderful place in which to live, and why was it so important that Lamont Green be the one to rebuild it?
9. Why is it so important that God be in the midst of building affordable housing in our cities? How did Cashmere Estates reflect this?
10. Who were your favorite and least favorite characters in the book?
Holy Ghost Corner
- Publication Date: February 21, 2013
- Paperback: pages
- Publisher: Grand Central Pub 2010-03-30
- ISBN-10: B0072Q7Q0C
- ISBN-13: 9780446564090