Reading Group Guide
1. Why did Michael Gavin ask a complete stranger to give his eulogy? Was he thinking about himself and his family or did he have another purpose?
2. Michael has a past that he’s not proud of. How did that affect the rest of his life?
3. What is your first impression of Wes Watkins? Did your impression of him change at all as the plot unfolded?
4. Were you surprised by how Wes went about crafting his story? What about people’s reactions to his questions? Was he right in pursuing the truth and professional in his methods for doing so? Why or why not?
5. Forgiveness is a theme running through the story. How was it played out in different characters? Why was this highlighted over other aspects of Gavin’s life?
6. What character do you identify with the most? Why?
7. Was Michael Gavin a hero? For his accomplishments or for something else? What truly defines a hero?
8. Discuss the novel's ending. What is the final message of this book? Is it positive or negative?