Reading Group Guide
1. Compared to her earlier works, how has Gilchrist's approach to race developed and changed? Does this development parallel what has changed in American society over the past two decades?
2. While Gilchrist has stated over and over in various interviews that she is only a story teller, various moral themes are persistent in her work. Examining this collection of stories, what does she seem to indicate is the cost of love? Who owes what to whom, emotionally? And how much? Can emotional debts ever be paid?
3. Examine how Gilchrist uses science--particularly physics and astrophysics--in her stories. Is her use of science in any way comparable to how 19th century writers used religion?
Flights of Angels
- Publication Date: September 13, 1999
- Paperback: 336 pages
- Publisher: Back Bay Books
- ISBN-10: 0316002305
- ISBN-13: 9780316002301