Reading Group Guide
1. A number of people in Easton urge Celia to remarry for her daughter’s sake. Do you think that would happen today? Why or why not?
2. What was your reaction to Jacob’s proposal? What would you have done if you’d been in Celia’s shoes?
3. Mark finds himself overwhelmed with anger at times. Do you think you would have reacted the same way if you’d been in similar circumstances?
4 .Although the adage claims that actions speak louder than words, Celia longs for words of love. Why do you think the words are so important to her? Which do you prefer, words or actions?
5. Celia, like many people, associates specific foods with certain holidays. Do you have any special foods that you serve only at holidays? What are they, and what memories make them special to you?
6. Mark admits that he’s afraid of fatherhood. Do you think you’d have had the same fears if you’d been in his situation? Why or why not?
7. Celia talks about connected strangers. Have you heard that term before? Are there any people in your life whom you’d consider to be connected strangers? Do you think they’ll ever become close friends? Why or why not?
8. A sermon becomes a turning point in Mark’s life. Have any sermons affected you that deeply? If so, what were the subjects?
9. Were you surprised by Lionel’s Christmas Day revelation? Why or why not?
10. Celia’s mother called Christmas the season of miracles. What miracles, small or big, have you experienced at that season?