Reading Group Guide
1. What made Ted Beaudine so special --- so irresistible? What kind of man do you find irresistible? Is it better to be in a long term relationship with Mr. Irresistible or Mr. Regular Guy?
2. What draws Meg and Lucy together? Would you rather have Meg or Lucy as a best friend?
3. Are Meg and Ted ultimately a good match? If Lucy and Ted had gone through with their marriage, what might their lives have been like? Which makes the best match --- a marriage of opposites or a marriage of similar personalities?
4. Most people envy those born to accomplished parents. Is there a dark side to being raised in privilege? How did your family's economic status affect your upbringing?
5. Ted Beaudine is Wynette's hero and great hope, but being so beloved sometimes works against him. Can you identify in any way with the concept of the "burden of the beloved?"
6. Ted and Meg see Wynette differently. How would they each describe it? How big an impact does the place where you live have on you --- your personality, relationship with others, world outlook?
7. At the Fourth of July party, Meg tells Ted she hates the town. He says, "Maybe. But you also like the challenge it's giving you." Has the place where you live or lived ever presented a particular challenge to you? Did you overcome it?
8. After years of traveling and searching, Meg finally found her passion. What makes her happy? What about Ted? Does everyone have to find their passion or is simply living well good enough?
9. Meg tells Sunny Skipjack, "Sometimes change is what we need. I guess it lets us look at our lives in a new way." Do her words reflect your personal experience?