Reading Group Guide
1. At the beginning of the novel, what do Josephine, Eugenia, and Lizzie want most now that the war has ended? Did each of these women get what she’d hoped for?
2. In what ways did each woman change throughout the course of the book? What particular events brought about these changes? Which woman changed the most?
3. What does the novel say about the effects of war on people’s lives? How did the war change Alexander Chandler, Daniel Weatherly, and Harrison Blake?
4. Which character in the book had the strongest faith? How did he/she develop that faith? How was it tested?
5. Why do you think Harrison helped Josephine to rescue Lizzie’s children?
6. Do you think Daniel will keep the agreement he made with Alexander Chandler at the end of the story? Why or why not?
7. What were some of the ways the chaos and lawlessness of the Reconstruction era were shown in the novel?
8. If you could write a sequel to All Things New, what do you think will happen to Josephine and Alexander? To Lizzie and Otis and their children? To Eugenia and Dr. Hunter?