Reading Group Guide
1. In what ways is Alice ahead of her time? Why do you think a straight-laced person such as Edward would be attracted to her?
2. Consider the scandal that envelops Alice's father. Are there echoes to the scandals that erupt in today's world? How so?
3. Is there a modern sensibility to this historical novel? If so, what is its effect on the story?
4. Discuss the conflicts and taboos in this story: class, status, politics, war, Alice's pregnancy, thwarted love, etc. Would you say times have or have not changed enough in a century's time?
5. Is this book a romance novel? How so? How do the romantic themes heighten the dramatic story line?
6. How do the backdrops of World War I and the Russian Revolution serve as characters in this story? In what ways do they interfere with Alice's relationships, her life?
7. Do you believe Baron Rettenberg loved Alice? Why or why not?
8. Does this story end realistically? Would you have chosen to end it differently?
Alice in Exile: A Novel
- Publication Date: March 9, 2004
- Genres: Fiction
- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
- ISBN-10: 0312325789
- ISBN-13: 9780312325787