Reading Group Guide
When writing this story, Francine had a key Bible verse in mind: “In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father” (Matthew 5:16). Our deeds, be they words, actions, or the lack thereof, define our character and allude to our motivations. With this in mind, let me encourage you to get together with some friends and discuss your favorite scenes, characters, and personal insights from this novel. May your insights never end, and may your discussion “runneth over”!
1. CHARACTER REVIEW
1. Choose a favorite moving or disturbing scene and discuss the elements that caught your attention.
2. Compare Hadassah leaving Jerusalem to Hadassah in the coliseum. What events caused the change?
1. Describe Hadassah’s internal conflict.
2. In what ways did Hadassah rely on God’s unfailing love?
3. How does God’s unfailing love motivate you?
1. In what ways do you identify with Hadassah? And how are you different?
2. Do you think Hadassah’s faith was realistic? How does your own faith compare?
3. “Without wavering, let us hold tightly to the hope we say we have, for God can be trusted to keep his promise” (Hebrews 10:23). What is the basis for unwavering faith?
SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES
As you think about Hadassah and decisions she made as a result of her faith in God, read the following Bible verses. They may ¬reveal her motivations and even challenge you in your own life decisions.
If anyone acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will openly acknowledge that person before my Father in heaven. But if anyone denies me here on earth, I will deny that person before my Father in heaven. MATTHEW 10:32-33
For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. ROMANS 10:9-10
In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. MATTHEW 5:16
But the Lord watches over those who fear him, those who rely on his unfailing love. PSALM 33:18