Reading Group Guide
1. In chapter 3, Donnie tells Zack “We both do bad stuff. It’s just I get forgiven, and you don’t.” What does Donnie mean?
2. Near the end of chapter 9, Pastor White says “But people can be decent, really decent, in ways that a lot of people respect… and that can be their biggest obstacle to faith.” Do you agree?
3. In chapter 15, Zack considers: “I was surprised how much I really wanted to be there for Richard.” Why does Zack want to be there? Might Zack be thinking about more than Richard’s needs? What larger need might Zack be pondering?
4. Think about the last sentences in chapter 22: “When you’re a kid, tragic and comic moments overlap. Your heart is light enough then to know the difference. Joy is our true, original destiny. Tragedy is the stranger.” Do you think this is accurate? If it is, should these truths change how we live?
5. The dream in chapter 25 is about heaven existing in the here and now. What parts of the dream did you like? Did any parts trouble you?