52 Things Sons Need from Their Dads: What Fathers Can Do to Build a Lasting Relationship
Radio producer and author Jay Payleitner is a popular speaker on parenting and marriage, and has four sons. His newest book, 52 THINGS SONS NEED FROM THEIR DADS, will have fathers from all walks of life thanking the good Lord that Payleitner took the time and energy required to compile such a comprehensive and categorically enthusiastic resource that is sure to have dads (and their sons) on the receiving end of such terrific advice.
Payleitner offers readers 52 different topics of interest from which to choose. These subjects include:
- Learning to be a student of your son
- Helping boys not to be dazzled by the digital age
- Treating a son like a future dad
- Making your son your hobby
- Putting a positive spin on video games
- Training boys to trust wisely
- Helping your son not to choke in the clutch
- Exposing your son to the dark side to protect him
- Teaching your son to defend 21st-century chivalry
- Insisting on your son coming to men’s events
- Letting your son know when you’re disappointed in him
- Helping boys see their truest value
- Giving your son your blessing
- Learning to say yes, so you can say no
- Teaching your son to shake hands
- Understanding that boys are always watching and learning
- Passing the torch
"Whether the man reading this text is a brand new dad still juggling the skill of holding his newborn son, or the man who has just dropped off his son at college, Payleitner’s work will have value and relevance for all."
Each of these timely and dynamically presented chapters offers men a lively and often comical story from Payleitner’s own life and his experiences raising his boys to manhood. He also includes a pertinent challenge for taking away the message of each topic and implementing it into daily life. Closing up the brief chapters are thoughtful quotes by various well-known personages from throughout the ages.
In a period when television dads are the brunt of jokes and not to be taken seriously, Payleitner’s book does something that couldn’t be timelier. He raises the bar for dads to aspire to and helps guide men in how to accomplish all that he shares. Within the framework of such a diverse selection of topics of interest, he demonstrates with every chapter how essential male figures are to their sons and their families in general. Without overwhelming them with too much in the way of expectation, Payleitner skillfully leads the way for men to follow (mistakes, failings, setbacks and all).
Whether the man reading this text is a brand new dad still juggling the skill of holding his newborn son, or the man who has just dropped off his son at college, Payleitner’s work will have value and relevance for all. The author, who is completely transparent about the mistakes he made with his own kids, helps all fathers realize it is never too late to start building (or rebuilding) a relationship with their sons that will significantly change both their lives. 52 THINGS SONS NEED FROM THEIR DADS is certain to become a bestseller and a favorite among men who genuinely care about their sons’ futures.
Reviewed by Michele Howe on March 24, 2014