1. What was your early impression of Claudia’s mother, Julia, and her grandmother, Scribonia? What led to Julia’s exile?
2. How do you think being taken from her mother and raised in the palace shaped Claudia’s character?
3. Do you believe it was a love match between Lucius and Claudia, or did she learn to love Lucius?
4. What do you think Sejanus had in mind when he introduced Claudia to Lucius?
5. Remember Claudia was only sixteen. How would you have handled the sudden departure of your bridegroom on the day of your wedding and the long delay in joining him?
6. What was the reason for the constant moving between Jerusalem and Caesarea? How did Claudia handle that?
7. What drew Claudia to seek out Jesus? How did Lucius react to the miracle?
8. Do you feel Lucius tried to save Jesus? What shows you that he did? Why then did he give in to the Jewish leaders?
9. Just when Lucius thought he was safe, what happened? Why did Caligula act as he did?
10. Do you think Lucius committed suicide? Why or why not?